Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Twitter and Photos

Seems I am snowballing into communicating via the internet as I have just finished signing up for Twitter and have posted photos from my new digital camera.

Twitter is an instant internet chat option where you constantly update what you are doing so any "followers" you might have can instantly know all about you. Likewise, you can instantly know about them by "following" them, should you wish. Smacks of information overload to me, but then my brain is on the down side of the bell curve for capacity and speed. Still, I'm a sucker for saying yes when invited and curiosity often gets the best of me. Apparently, you can gain quite a following for whatever you want to promote, whether it is yourself, or some service, product or idea. As I am planning to make a living out of my writing, this could be good avenue for promotions - though I'm not sure how as yet.

Re: the photos - daughter number two gifted me with a digital camera which I am tentatively exploring, rather like I did my first child when she was a newborn. I remember bringing her home from the hospital (home births were not yet de rigeuer in the birthing world) in the dead of winter. Her father and I set her down carefully on the kitchen table - an alert little face watched us out of a seriously padded winter bunting bag. We looked at each other with an excitement made up of equal parts trepidation and anticipation. I think it didn't dawn on us until that moment the enormity of what we had done together by bringing a new little person into the world, or the impact she would have on our lives.

As I said, owning this digital camera feels a little bit the same. I am cautious - a little afraid that I might somehow break it, intimidated by its potential and aware of my complete lack of knowledge. New technologies, new gadgets, new machines all create stress for me - a good stress no doubt as they cause me to grow - but I find I have to gird my loins so to speak to plunge in and explore. Also, I realize I do not like reading the instructions and use them only to figure out how to turn it on, and what the buttons do. Then I play with the thing until I hit a brick wall, at which point I resort to checking the instructions.

So, today I played with my camera, taking photos of a squirrel maurading the bird feeder. I think of the bit I just heard on the radio about chic restaurants serving squirrel as the new fashion meat and wonder if I could maybe make a bit of extra cash off of the now very plump on bird seed rodents I see through the view finder:

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I can help you with your camera, if you like. As for home births, I'll just say that the Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada advises against them. From my own experiences delivering babies, a lot can happen in a few minutes that could kill both mother and child, less time that it would take to get to the hospital. On that bright note, I'll say that I like your picture.