Sunday, August 10, 2008

What is Revealed by The Revelation to John? Part I

INTRODUCTION AND RATIONALE:



I recorded these thoughts in July, 2006. They are a personal study of Revelations born in response to the mad deception of war-mongers who justified their tenacious hold on power and resources with end-time prophecy. I wanted to find out and share what I was sure the book as a whole could tell me about these matters.
Predictably, I failed in my quest for two reasons. Firstly, life intervened and I only got through Chapter 3. More significantly, the internal beauty, pattern and wonder of the book itself superceded my intentions towards it...odd how that happens. From rant to reverance. I ended up finding myself awed and intrigued by the intricate weaving of symbol and theme - how they expanded the meaning in the messages to the church. I hope you will find it so as well.

I will try to post a Part each day or two.


A final note: I have provided links to the relevant Bible passages followed by my comments about them. This is not a scholarly treatise so I have not credited the books or web-sites I researched; most of the information is easily available through on-line sources, encyclopedias and dictionaries. Without further ado...


The Revelation to John Chapter 1


SEVEN:


Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, SArdis, Philadelphia, Laodicea - seven churches, seven Spirits before the throne, seven candlesticks, seven stars, and seven angels. Before the vision the seven Spirits are in the heavenlies, and the seven churches are on the earth - a clear division. In John's vision, Jesus brings the Father's will in heaven to earth - holding the seven stars, or angels, or messengers, He stands in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks, the churches which are meant to deliver God's light to the earth.


But why seven, why not ten or thirty? As the number of completion, seven implies that while each message is specific and unique to the individual church addressed in that era and place, altogether they comprise a complete message to the church universal, transcending the time and space of the churches singularly. What then is the message for us today?

No comments: